Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Topic: Advice on Studying in College

10-second review: Effective study habits.


Source: How to Study in College. Third Edition. Walter Pauk. Boston: Houghton Mifflin Company, 1984.


Summary/Quote: “Alex Main of the University of Strathclyde, Scotland, noted that the effective student…usually [studies] at the same time each day…works mostly in a regular study place…works for short periods with frequent rest breaks…reviews notes soon after a lecture…does not lave work to the last minute…does not need exams for motivation.” p. xix.


Comment: I particularly noticed the last piece of advice. Motivation for learning should not come from fear of exams. I remember vividly my taking a course in The Philosophy of Communism because I wanted to know why Communists felt their system was inevitable. While other students drowsed through the instructor’s monotone lectures, I busily took notes because I wanted the answer to my question. I was energized because I had a purpose for learning. RayS.

No comments: