Friday, January 16, 2009

Topic: The Risks of Writing

10-second review: How long does it take writers to write books? Roald Dahl: “I have written only two long children’s books myself, and for all I know they may be completely worthless…. Each of them took somewhere between eight and nine months to complete, with no time off for other work, and eight or nine months is a big slice out of the life of any writer….”

Source: The Writer (April 2005), 8. The Writer is a magazine written by writers for writers.

Comment: It took a year and a half for me to write my book, Teaching English, How To…. Almost nobody read it. I’m not alone. Thoreau wrote and self-published his first book and nobody bought it. He once said that his library consisted of 1,000 books, and 999 of them were copies of his book. RayS.

No comments: