Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Topic: Book Proposal

Question: How construct a book proposal?

10-second review: "A good book proposal tells publishers the things they most need to know: what your book is about, why it's important, and whom it's important to. Perhaps the best way to approach your proposal is to ask those questions of yourself--not as a writer, but as a reader. What would persuade you to pick this book from the shelf? What would make you want to buy it? The answers just might be the arguments you need to make a sale."

Source: M Allen. The Writer (September 2004), 34-37. The Writer is a magazine by writers for writers.

Comment: One of these days I’m going to write a book for writers who have never written a book. This piece of advice will be an important part of my advice. I wish I had done this type of thinking before publishing my book. RayS.

No comments: