Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Research in English: The New and Old Literacies



10-second review: There is much about the old literacies that we still do not understand. And, of course, there  is much about the new literacies we do not understand. We need research in both.

Title: “A Call for New Research on New and Multi-literacies.” EB Moje. Research in the Teaching of English (May 2009), 348-362.

Quote: “In the last hour, I talked by mobile phone to a friend who was driving across another state while I Mapquested his location and gave him updates on his estimated time of arrival; wrote email back and forth to a former research participant who now lives in New Mexico; re-watched the YouTube video, Shift Happens; sent my family notes describing my hotel room; watched the news on television; charged my Ipod; and worked on this essay, using books I had lugged with me on my trip.”

Comment: All right, so personal communication is quicker than ever before with technology. Mundane, everyday tasks in communication can be accomplished instantly. The real question is how technology can assist in academic learning. I am NOT a Luddite. I recognize the advantages of digital technology. For heaven’s sake, I was there for the transformation of writing with the word processor. But we still need to use technology to enable academic learning in our classrooms. I’m not opposed to Twittering or Facebook “Friends” or YouTube videos. I am interested in how these technologies can become useful in academic learning in the classroom. RayS.

No comments: