Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Topic: American Reading Habits

10-second review: To what degree do Americans have the reading habit? “…only 5% of North Americans can be thought of as habitual readers, or, to put it rather more urgently, 95% of all those who attend school will probably never take to reading as a matter of habit.”


Source: LF Ashley. “Children’s Reading Interests and Individualized Reading.” 1088.


Comment: I think I would amend this statement to “…never take to reading books as a matter of habit.” President John F. Kennedy said that he never saw his father read a serious book. My own father told me that when he finished law school, he told himself that he would never read another book and he never did. I guess with the requirement to read books in school, books became something to avoid when one was free to do anything one wanted. I don’t think teachers “sold” books as a way of gaining ideas. RayS.

No comments: