Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Topic: Literature Response Journals



Ten-second review: Teacher’s instructions to students on using literature response journals.

Title: “Exploring the Meaning-Making Process Through the Content of Literature Response Journals: A Cast Study Investigation.” MR Hancock. Research in the Teaching of English (December 1993), 335-368.

Quote: “…I formally explained the literature response journal to the 10 participants as a device ‘to freely express your thoughts, insights, feelings, reactions, questions, experiences, and opinions.’ I encouraged the participants ‘to record everything that is rambling through your mind as you read the book.’ As a means of later verification, I asked students ‘to indicate the page in the book you are reading when you make a response.’ Emphasizing the need for risk-taking during writing, I informed the students, ‘the journals will not be graded,’ and ‘spelling and punctuation will not be corrected in the journals.’ My instructions focused on ‘the free expression of ideas as the most important consideration in the study.’ I reassured the participants that ‘journal entries will be kept confidential,’ and I would write ‘encouraging but nonjudgmental comments’ in response to the entries each day.” p. 340.

Comment: Helpful. RayS.

No comments: