Monday, June 2, 2008

Annotated Table of Contents: Writing Across the Curriculum

Teaching English, How To.... by Raymond Stopper

Part Three: Writing and Speaking

Chapter 13: Writing Across the Curriculum. How can English teachers and teachers of other subjects work together in teaching writing? I did not address the issue of writing in the content areas when I was language arts supervisor, K-12, because I felt that content teachers would have trouble dealing with the amount of time required to mark student papers. That view was shortsighted.

I now believe that I could have developed a consensus in the English department concerning the nature of the writing process, the use of writing as a method of learning, the structure of expository writing, a scale to evaluate student writing and procedures for teaching the research paper and the essay exam that we could have shared with the rest of the faculty. I now believe that cooperation between English teachers and the rest of the faculty in supporting the teaching of writing was and is possible. Here's how.

No comments: